A recipient of a Mary Mulheron Award is a lay ecclesial minister and is a current APM member who:
1. is dedicated to pastoral ministry
2. demonstrates competence as a pastoral minister and a willingness to empower others to hear their own call to ministry
3. demonstrates personal and professional qualities outlined in the APM Standards: e.g. prayerfulness, empathy, compassion, patience, flexibility, sense of humor
4. integrates academic theological understandings with pastoral insights and skills
5. is able to use financial assistance for further education or creative projects
This person brings competence, compassion, creativity, and credibility to the profession of pastoral ministry.